APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Apple Cider Vinegar is a prominent home remedy for a variety of health issues, most popularly serving as a detox or gut health supplement. The truth is, using Apple Cider Vinegar as a home remedy for certain ailments is a practice that has been around for quite some time. The resurgence of interest in natural remedies has pushed Apple Cider Vinegar, or ACV, to the forefront in tackling issues like weight gain, blood sugar control, and overall skin and hair health.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar is made of fermented apples and water, with a 5% acidity. Organic, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar which contains a substance called “the mother,” has beneficial bacteria, enzymes, and proteins. ACV also contains antioxidants, amino acids, and antimicrobial properties. Some of the other important nutrients that ACV contains are magnesium, iron, phosphorus, and manganese.
Fermenting the apples unlocks more available nutrients and adds enzymes throughout the process. Apple Cider Vinegar is double fermented, the first step converting sugar into alcohol and then converting alcohol into vinegar with the addition of acetic acid-forming bacteria. This also makes ACV a great source of probiotics which is crucial in the diet for a healthy gut. It can be a great alternative to people who may not be able to digest the more inflammatory probiotics like dairy products.
How does one use Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar is popularly used in salad dressing or marinades, or consumed in beverage form in a small quantity. When drinking Apple Cider Vinegar, it is suggested that people only take a few tablespoons and mix with water, depending on the desired targeted issue. Apple Cider Vinegar is also sometimes used topically for skin and hair treatments. Because of the huge spike in popularity, Apple Cider Vinegar is now being produced in supplement or pill form.
Professionals advise against the overconsumption of Apple Cider Vinegar as it is very acidic and drinking large quantities of it often can upset the stomach or impact the teeth. Those with diabetes or other conditions need to consult physicians before trying ACV as it may interfere with certain medicines.
What are the possible benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar has antibacterial properties and can help kill off pathogens and prevent more harmful bacteria from growing. Studies have found that it can even help kill E-coli and bacteria responsible for Staph infections. Research has also shown the antifungal properties of Apple Cider Vinegar, drastically reducing the fungal count in a patient. This is why Apple Cider Vinegar is not only consumed but also applied topically for certain skin and hair conditions.
- Blood Sugar Management
- Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar may reduce blood sugar and improve insulin response to help manage type 2 diabetes. This can be especially helpful for managing levels in those with insulin resistance.
- Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar before a big meal can prevent high blood sugar spikes due to increased insulin sensitivity and slow stomach emptying.
- Blood Pressure Control
- Apple Cider Vinegar can help with blood pressure control by keeping blood vessels in a relaxed state.
- People frequently take Apple Cider Vinegar in the mornings and report it can bring down hypertension while also boosting metabolism.
- Cholesterol Control & Heart Health
- Studies have found that acetic acid, which is in Apple Cider Vinegar, can lower bad LDL cholesterol and increase beneficial HDL cholesterol in the body. By lowering the levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides, it can lower the risk of heart attack, stroke, or other heart problems. This also coincides with Apple Cider Vinegar potentially lowering blood pressure, both circumstances working together to reduce the risk of heart issues.
- Apple Cider Vinegar also has high levels of alpha-linolenic acid, which has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease in women.
- Weight Loss
- Apple Cider Vinegar may promote weight loss due to increased feelings of satiety, also known as fullness. Studies on the effects of ACV and weight loss prove most effective for those already on a calorie-restricted diet.
- A study found that the acidity from the Apple Cider Vinegar can boost metabolism by promoting fat burning and lowering fat and sugar production. ACV can also lower body fat percentage and belly fat.
- A popular way to consume Apple Cider Vinegar for weight loss is replacing traditional fatty and salty dressings with it. It only has three calories per tablespoon and no fats or carbohydrates. Adding ACV to your salads or other dishes provides flavor without the harmful ingredients other dressings may have.
- Digestion and Gut Health
- Apple Cider Vinegar is most popularly used to help improve digestion and overall gut health and can relieve gastrointestinal symptoms with its anti-inflammatory properties. Consuming ACV increases probiotic levels which can help restore the gut flora.
- Apple Cider Vinegar can help aid digestion by increasing the amount of pepsin in the stomach, which is the enzyme that breaks down protein. This is because ACV increases the level of acidity in the stomach which in turn helps the body to create more pepsin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar can inhibit or slow the growth of bad bacteria. By controlling the number of bad bacteria in the gut, beneficial bacteria can thrive and lead to overall balanced gut health.
- Skin and Hair Health
- Apple Cider Vinegar contains amazing vitamins and minerals that the skin and hair thrive off of.
- Skin:The antibacterial properties in Apple Cider Vinegar can help balance the skin’s pH and prevent acne from forming with the ability to fight infection. As well, ACV can help remove dead skin cells as an exfoliant. People have also used ACV as sunburn relief due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Applying ACV topically improves the skin barrier and can help reduce itching in those with psoriasis or eczema.
- Hair:The acidity and antifungal properties help fight off dandruff and scalp infections. Apple Cider Vinegar can help balance the scalp’s pH levels and leave hair looking shiny and smooth by also sealing hair cuticles and reducing hair frizz.